(855) 263-3525

How To Sue Your Company For Overtime Pay & Back Wages

WASHINGTON D.C — Many employees do not know how to sue their company for unpaid overtime pay and back wages.   The first step is to contact an employment lawyer to determine whether you are considered a covered employee under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).  Workers covered under the FLSA can sue their past or present employer if required overtime wages were not properly paid.

Overtime pay is required from your employer in most circumstances when an employee works more than forty hours a week.   Under federal law, an employer is required to pay a “non- exempt” employee overtime pay for hours worked beyond a 40 hour work week.  Many employers are fully aware that they are legally required to pay overtime, but either simply to refuse to pay those wages or intentionally misclassify an employee as “exempt” to avoid overtime.  Many employees who are paid a salary, instead of hourly pay, are still covered employees.

The overtime rate of pay that employers are required to pay is one and a half times (1.5 times) the regular hourly wage.   Claims for unpaid wages can often be sought dating two years back from the filing of the lawsuit and continue into the future until the lawsuit is resolved.  There are some states that permit the claims to seek unpaid wages even more than two years in the past.

If you were not paid the legally required overtime pay, there are two ways to sue your past or present company for these wages.   Lawsuits can be filed as individual lawsuits class action lawsuits, also known as “collective action lawsuits.”    If a number of employees at the same company have similar claims, they may be able to file a class action lawsuit to recover their unpaid wages.   An employee can also join an existing class action overtime lawsuit if it has already been filed. 

Our overtime pay lawsuit attorneys will provide you with a FREE, NO OBLIGATION CASE REVEW to determine if your company  failed to pay your required overtime wages.   We advise you if it is in your best interest to file an individual overtime lawsuit or participate in a class action case.     We will represent you on a “No Win, No Fee” basis, which means there are no legal fees or expenses unless we win a settlement for you.   Call our qualified overtime lawsuit attorneys now at (855) 754-2795 to see if you have a claim and to get started on your case today.

Text Now For Free Case Review